5 Tips For a Flooded Vehicle in Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge has been hit with heavy rains and widespread flooding, and we want you to be equipped with how to handle a flooded vehicle. Gerry Lane Cadillac has compiled a list of what to do if your car, truck or SUV was affected by a flash flood or high water.
Here are some steps you should take:
1) DO NOT start your vehicle! Attempting to crank it will only cause further damage if the engine has been flooded. Just open the vehicle up and leave the windows down to let it dry it out.
2) Call your insurance agent/company and start the claims process. You can expect to receive full NADA retail value for your vehicle plus compensation for tax, title, and license if it's deemed a total loss.
3) Do not tow your vehicle to the dealership! Normally, we'd love a visit from you, but please call your insurance company first. If you need to have the vehicle moved, your insurance company should provide you with the information as to where to have it towed so that they can assess it.
4) If declared a total loss and you have GAP insurance, call the provider and start that claims process. They will have a list of information they will need to fulfill the claim. If you purchased a vehicle from Gerry Lane Cadillac, Chevrolet or Used and are unsure if you have GAP or need your documents, please give us a call. We would be happy to help you during this difficult time.
5) Once you have all your claims started, gather whatever documents you have from your insurance company and you should be able to start the process of replacing your flooded vehicle.
We hope these tips have been helpful for you! Stay safe during this crazy South Louisiana weather.